Ahh Mondays OVER. Finally! Remember how I said I would be making my first “overnight oats” recipe last night? Welll I did and let me just tell you it was DEE-SCUST-ING. Maybe I’m not a good overnight breakfast chef or maybe cold oats is NOT my thing. I’d like to go with the latter… It looked appetizing but I could hardly stomach this. I even tried heating it up and still no appetite for that nonsense. Did i tell you that I also spit out a Reese’s last night? WHO AM I!? I took a bite and didnt think it tasted good. I’m not sure if its because I’m used to peanut butter with no sugar added but something is definitely up with my tastebuds.
These cheered me up after a not so tasty breakfast (have I told you I didnt like my breakfast enough yet?)
Snack today was a Honeycrisp apple with some Justin’s Almond Butter. I’ve never had almond butter but I’ve heard good things… I went to purchase it and it was $11!? I would pay that for some Chocolate Peanut Butter… but I’m not even sure I’d like this, so I passed. On my way out I saw these packets for 99¢. SCORE! Perfect way to do a little taste test Apparently a lot comes in this tiny package…I used it for this snack AND my lunch and I still have half of a packet left. It’s good but I wouldn’t eat it everyday so I’ll pass on the $11 jar and stick with the packets for now.
The girls went down for a nap so I headed down to the elliptical… They set up a TV so I was able to watch Real Housewives of Beverly Hills while working out today. 45 minutes flew by! Now here is where my post title comes from. After my workout I checked the stats…..
Almost 1000 calories in 45 minutes!? I worked hard…but I feel like thats equal to almost 2 hours of running. This has to be wrong… I talked to one of my girlfriends who is a certified nutritionist and she said that there are law suits going on about this exact issue. I understand that it cant be 100% correct but that seems WAY off. Maybe more around 500 calories burned? I would like to get a heart rate monitor but I’ve never known anyone to actually use one. Does anyone have suggestions on any? A friend told me about the Polar brand and I found some for about $75 but I’d like to hear your opinions if you have one!
After my breakfast debacle the last thing I wanted was ANOTHER cold meal. Unfortunately all I brought was a greek yogurt and a bluebran vitamuffin top. Since it is Meatless Monday there werent many options for me at work…So i stuck with it.
Well, 2 out of those 3 arent bad right? I went with a Roasted Butternut Squash Gnocchi with a browned butter and parmesan sauce.
Make this for dinner if you hated your breakfast and lunch…and finish with
a handful two handfuls of vegan chocolate chips. I promise it will make everything better.
Butternut Squash Gnocchi with Brown Butter Sauce
- 1/2 butternut squash, chopped
- 1 cup of whole wheat flour
- 2 tablepoons olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- sprinkling of pepper
- 1/4 cup butter ( i used Earth Balance)
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 400.
Chop butternut squash into bite size pieces. Toss with olive oil, salt, pepper, cinnamon and nutmeg. Roast at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.
Once roasted squash has cooled, mash with a fork or puree in a food processor. You want about 1 cup of squash.
Begin gradually adding flour and mix with your hands to create a dough. If it is too sticky, add more flour. Do not add too much at one time.
Bring water to a boil in a large pot.
Roll dough into thin strips and cut inch-long pieces from the strip. Place in boiling water and let cook for 3-4 minutes, or just until gnocchi floats. Drain pasta.
Heat a small saucepan on medium heat. Add butter and continue to stir and swirl so butter down not burn. Watch closely. Cook for about 3 minutes, or until butter is lightly browned and bubbly.
Pour brown butter over gnocchi and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
You can’t go wrong here. I know I have work to do on my rolling and cutting of the dough but it’s my first time! I’ll get better – Promise
here’s how it works…
1. Make a post + Link back to the person who awarded you this award.
2. Share 7 things about yourself.
My Random 7:
1. I can crack every single bone in my body. Test me.
2. I used to be tanorexic… I miss the days of being tan but I know I’m saving myself in the long run.
3. I have been in serious relationships for the past 11 years of my life. The longest I’ve ever been single is 3 months…It happened to be right before I met my current boyfriend. I believe you need to take time to yourself before you jump in another relationship so you can discover what you really want in a partner. You’ve gotta kiss a lot of frogs to find your Prince
4. I know every single lyric to every single song. My favorite type of music is Rap… Bet you wouldn’t have guessed that!
5. I am SERIOUSLY addicted to sweets. I used to be a salt lover but within the past year sugar has stolen my heart.
6. I used to wear a size 8.5 shoe…Now I wear a 7 and my Uggs are a size 5. I might be the only person who’s feet shrink as they get older!?
7. I wear a tiara every year on my birthday. I AM a princess.
I thought that was going to be hard but I actually have a lot more things I could say!
They are calling for 7 inches of snow tomorrow… They’ve said that one too many times this year and I’ve yet to see it… So snow hard or go home please.
Hope everyone had a great day and a better breakfast than me! I had to say it one more time…