Boooo, I can’t believe it’s Monday already!?! At least it’s May, right?! Warm weather is here to stay. This weekend was pretty uneventful but I needed it. I have a feeling my life is about to become super hectic so I’m happy with my 80-year-old status weekend.
Friday night I enjoyed dinner with my grandma & aunt at home… We had a SUPER yummy salad that I forgot to take pictures of. It was a “Shrimp Cobb Salad” from the new Cooking Light magazine…. SO amazing.
The dressing was very light and simple to make – You can find the recipe here if you want to have bacon, avocado and shrimp wrapped in one meal. Put any one of those in a recipe and I’m in…all 3? Hellllo perfection. Friday night I was in bed by 10:30, because I’m 80.
Saturday morning I woke up and skipped my normal bodypump/zumba classes because I was extremely sore… Instead I decided to head over to my moms house to use her bike. I rode for a good 45 minutes – It was A LOT harder than I thought. When I got up I whipped up some healthy muffins. Again, this recipe was adapted from the new Cooking Light magazine. Great investment I’d say.
Whole Wheat Pistachio and Chai Muffins
- 1 3/4 cups of Whole Wheat flour (or all-purpose OR 1/2 AP 1/2 WW)
- 1/2 cup sucanat (or brown sugar)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 chai blend tea bags, opened
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted (i used brummel and brown – yogurt based)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1/4 cup egg whites (or 1 whole egg)
- Cooking spray
- 1/3 cup shelled dry-roasted pistachios, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 4 ingredients (through salt) in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Cut open tea bags; add tea to flour mixture, stirring well.
- Make a well in center of mixture. Combine buttermilk, butter, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and egg whites in a bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until moist. Add 1/2 of your pistachio mixture to batter.
- Place 12 muffin-cup liners in muffin cups; coat liners with cooking spray. Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups.
- Sprinkle nuts evenly over batter.
- Bake at 375° for 15 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes in pan on a wire rack.
We replaced our old fridge
With a new fridge
Some organization needs to be done but I’m loving it so far!
We seriously couldn’t ask for better weather on Saturday – I get so much more accomplished when Mr. Sun is showing his face. I’ve been loving my workouts outside so much that I’ve decided instead of using my gym membership I’m going to start sporting these…
I enjoyed some more time in the sun while watching my little cousin play lacrosse.
He loves having fans on the sidelines.
3 goals scored by this little munchkin.
Isn’t he cute?
My grandma, aunt and I enjoyed dinner again out at Woodfire Grill. We all had the Woodfire Salad (Spinach, Strawberries, Blackberries, Sunflower Seeds & Goat Cheese) w/ Grilled Salmon. We are quite the seafood and salad eaters lately.
I went to Tasti D-Lite afterwards by myself (fat kid move) for a little treat.
Seriously, this is a small. I couldn’t finish it and I think that might be the first time that has EVER happened.
Sunday morning I got up for my spin class and my favorite spin instructor wasn’t teaching. Awesome. Instead I did 35 minutes on the Arc Trainer and did an ab routine. I headed to the mall afterwards and picked up some mothers day gifts! Surprisingly, I only purchased one thing for myself and it was necessary
Yesterday our farmers market opened! I feel like I’ve been waiting on this for MONTHS.
I picked up plenty of fresh fruit to make my new favorite lunch – Smoothie bowls!
Now I know why Julie loves these so much!
The first Smoothie Bowl is Strawberry Banana – In it goes
- 1/2 banana
- 1cup frozen strawberries
- 1 scoop of vanilla protein
- 1 cup almond milk (unsweetened)
- 2 pinches xanthan gum
The second one is a Chocolate Covered Strawberry Smoothie bowl
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 1 scoop of chocolate protein
- 1 tbsp of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 pinches of xanthan gum