Happy Friday! Anyone have a food coma/hangover out there? I paced myself so I could wake up at 5am for spin! I’m on a train on my way to New Jersey for a wedding filled weekend Last night my family got together to celebrate Cinco de Mayo and also to welcome home my baby brother who is now 21 years old and home from college for the Summer.
He’s all growed up now
Our spread included lots of my mexican favorites
Salsa & Guacamole w/ Chips (too interested in eating to take a picture)
Chicken & Steak Fajitas
and of course a Mexican flag triple layered cake. No party is complete without cake.
This festive cake was REALLY easy to make and super delicious. Check it out.
Mexican Colored Triple Layered Cake
- 1 Box Funfetti Cake Mix
- 1/3 Cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 Cup water
- 8 oz fat free vanilla yogurt
- 4 eggs
- 1 small box instant vanilla pudding mix
- Food Coloring or Decorating Paste (red and green)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- With an electric mixer, mix the cake mix, oil, water, yogurt, eggs and pudding mix until well combined; about 1 1/2 minutes.
- Divide batter evenly into 3 bowls.
- Add red and green to two of those bowls.
- Once mixed, pour each colored batter into well greased 9 inch cake pans (3 total).
- Bake for 15-17 minutes or until cakes are cooked through. Cakes will be thin.
- Once cooled completely, remove from pans and place first layer of cake onto a cake stand. Spread frosting over top layer then place second layer of cake on top and continue this pattern until all layers are frosted. Frost top and sides once layers are frosted.
- Add decorations as you see fit. I’ve added pepper toothpicks to the side and a sombrero in the middle.
- Attend a cooking class
- Go for a hike
- Head to the Zoo or Aquarium
- Attend a concert
- Miniature golf, bowling or arcade at the boardwalk – Make a fun competitive bet
- Have dessert for dinner. Make sure this indulgence is worth it!
- Take a drive to a city in your state you’ve never explored
- Fill up a picnic basket with goodies and share your feast
- Go camping
- Participate in a wine tour at a local winery
- Volunteer at Habitat for Humanity or something similar
- Take a hot air balloon ride
- Watch the sunrise/sunset
- Head to a local comedy club
- Learn a foreign language
- Get a couples massage
- Take ballroom dancing lessons
- Go to a farm where you can pick apples, strawberries or whatever is in season
- Play a game of tennis, head to the batting cages or one on one volleyball
- Attend a sporting event
What is your favorite date idea?