Hi, my name’s Alyssa and I love cupcakes.
I’ve been putting off making these cupcakes for 3 days now. Why? Because I knew I had zero plans of making them healthy. Because I knew that I would want to dip my fingers in the peanut butter cream cheese frosting. Because I knew I couldn’t be trusted with 24 cupcakes in front of my face.
Don’t worry, I practiced self-control. I only ate 2. I had plans to eat 1 but then I thought it would be weird to have Adam bring in 23 cupcakes to work because it’s an odd number. You’re welcome for saving you the embarrassment babe.
These cupcakes are fluffy and moist. They’re silky and delicious. They’re simply irresistible.
Banana Cupcakes w/ Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1¼ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ¼ cup vegetable shortening, at room temperature
- 1cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 3 medium very ripe bananas, mashed
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 8oz package cream cheese frosting
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter
- Vanilla wafers (optional)
- Chopped peanuts (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Line two 12-cup cupcake pans with paper liners.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together into a large bowl and set aside.
- Mash bananas in a separate bowl and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and shortening together on medium speed until creamy, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the sugar, brown sugar and vanilla and beat on medium speed until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Scrape down the bowl, add the eggs, and beat until just combined. Scrape down the bowl again and add the bananas. Beat until just combined. Turn the mixer to low.
- Add the flour mixture, alternating with the buttermilk, in three additions, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Scrape down the bowl, then mix on low-speed for a few more seconds.
- Fill the cupcake liners about three-quarters full.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes rotating the pans halfway through the baking time, until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Transfer the pans to a wire rack and let cool for 20 minutes. Remove the cupcakes from the pans and place them on the rack to cool completely.
- While cooling you can prepare your frosting. Add all ingredients (powdered sugar, peanut butter, cream cheese and butter) and beat with a mixer until smooth.
- Once cupcakes are cooled spread evenly on top.
- Add 1/2 of a vanilla wafer or chopped peanuts to a top if desired