October 12, 2011
Today was about 15 degrees cooler than it was yesterday. Surprisingly, I didn’t mind it! Only because I had a comfort food in mind. This comfort food included pumpkin. Surprised? I didn’t think you all would mind since you said to bring it on the other day!
Pumpkin Chili (Vegetarian)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can of corn, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon ground all spice
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large skillet, saute the onion, yellow pepper in oil until tender.
- Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker; stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or until heated through.
- Top with extras
I added a dollop of greek yogurt and more parsley. Then I realized I had leftover cornbread
in the freezer (from exactly a month ago!!) so I defrosted it in the microwave and added to the top as well.
Oh man, you guys have to try this. I never thought vegetarian chili could taste so good!
I’m sure you guys have seen this video of the little girl singing Nicki Minaj’s Super Bass song, right?
WELL, she got to meet Nicki Minaj AND sing with her – Her reaction is priceless.
I am obsessed with them!
Last thing for today’s post – I saw this on Facebook and thought it was funny so I’d share.
I got beautiful, pretty and broke – Ha!
QUESTIONS: What were the first 3 words you saw?
October 3, 2011
Yesterday we got up early and were ready to pick some big ole punkins!! Side note: my mom and my aunts call me punkin
Adam is such a good sport – not only did he go pumpkin/apple picking during football – but he also lugged this 40 pound pumpkin around the entire farm. It’s huge – and I love it! Even though there was no shortage of pumpkins to pick from, I feel like I found the vintage looking pumpkin I was searching for.
The farm also offered apple picking which I was excited for! I planned our entire menu for the week around them…
Unfortunately there was a shortage of these… Most of the apples were on the ground.
We did find a few usable Macintosh apples
But left with a lot less than expected.
I can still make a couple of the recipes though so it wasn’t a total disappointment.
Before we left for our farm adventure I made us a breakfast that would keep us fueled. Remember the bread I posted about Saturday? I took it out of the package to find this….
Bummmer… All the tops were broken off. But I was not about to let that ruin my breakfast!
I whipped up some Pumpkin Cream Cheese and toasted the topless slices with this deliciousness.
It was extremely simple and tasted like Fall.
Pumpkin Pie Cream Cheese (Vegan or Regular)
- 8 oz dairy free or regular cream cheese (i used this is not a tub of cream cheese from Trader Joe’s)
- HEAPING 1/2 cup of pure pumpkin
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp vanilla
- drizzle of agave nectar
- Beat everything with mixer until combined
- Spread on desired item (pumpkin swirl bread is amazing) or eat with your finger. I don’t judge.
Now I need to get back to those apples… Recipe for spaghetti squash lasagna will be tomorrow
QUESTIONS: What would you make with a bunch of apples? I have a lot of dinner recipes planned, but no dessert. Shocking, I know.