After a long exhausting weekend the last thing I wanted to do was think about cooking dinner tonight. We ate out ALL weekend long so I knew I needed to jump back into being healthy this week. When I woke up this morning I slipped into a daydream where I had a wife who unpacked my suitcase, did my dirty laundry and had dinner waiting for me when i got home from work. I quickly snapped out of my dream and back to reality when I remembered I could at least have some”one” take care of the last one for me. Meet my wife….
Mrs. Crock Pot to the rescue. There is nothing better than arriving home to a welcoming aroma, realizing dinner is ready to eat in seconds of you walking in the door and of course the fact that there is just one dish to clean. OK, now I just need it to be 5pm so I can be home to experience this!
On the agenda tonight is White Bean and Chicken Chili. I realize Chili is a wintry type of meal and its 70 degrees out today but I’ll take what I can get! I’ve made this before and I know it’s a winner🙂
White Bean and Chicken Chili
adapted from My Recipes
- 2 (15 oz.) cans white beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 whole bone-in chicken breasts (3 lb.)
- Salt and pepper
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 (4 oz.) cans roasted green chilies, drained
- 1 can of corn
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- Warm oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Place chicken skin side down in skillet; cook until brown, about 4 minutes. Turn and cook for 2 minutes more.
- Transfer to a plate; remove and discard skin. Drain all but 2 Tbsp. fat from skillet. Add onions and garlic; cook until softened, 5 minutes.
- Add onion mixture, corn, chilies, broth, beans, 1 cup water and cumin to slow cooker. Stir; add chicken.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Remove chicken, shred it and return to slow cooker.