Hello out there :) Well, we got through Monday! The rest is easy peasy my friends…
Sunday Night I made THE most incredible side dishes while we grilled out. Grilled avocado stuffed with Strawberry-Mango Salsa and Sesame Miso Cucumber Salad. Strawberries, Cucumbers and Mangoes are SO fresh right now (which also makes them extremely cheap) and there is nothing better than having a fresh and inexpensive meal.
Grilled Avocados & Strawberry Mango-Salsa (serves 2)
- 1 medium avocado, just turning soft, not fully ripe
- 1/4 cup agave
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 medium mango, peeled, pitted, and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 pound strawberries (about 1 cup), hulled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat a grill brushed with olive oil to medium-high, 300°F to 400°F.
- Slice the avocado in half lengthwise, and carefully remove the pit; do not peel them.
- In a small bowl, mix the agave with the oil.
- Brush the avocado flesh with this mixture, cover with plastic wrap and set aside in a cool place (do not refrigerate).
- In a medium bowl, mix the mango and strawberries with the vinegar, orange juice, and lemon juice. Let the mixture rest for at least 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, so the flavors can blend.
- Grill the avocado, skin side down, for 2 to 3 minutes, until the skin begins to lightly char and take on grill marks.
- Brush the flesh side of the avocado again with the agave-oil mixture and place them, flesh side down, on the hot grill for another 2 or 3 minutes.
- With a spatula, carefully remove the avocado from the grill and place them on a plate.
- Fill the seed cavity with mango-strawberry salsa, generously dribbling some on top of each half. Serve with a spoon to scoop out the avocado flesh and salsa.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons white miso
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
- 4 cups thinly sliced seeded cucumber
- Combine first 7 ingredients in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk.
- Seed cucumbers by cutting in half and taking a spoon to the middle and scooping out the seeds.
Let’s face it… We all know why Mom’s drink wine every night now that we are adults. The real world is stressful (especially if you have kids). This Club sends you 2 bottles each month. That should last them about…5 days? ;)
Custom Hand-Painted Wine Glasses (or margarita, beer etc..)
My girl Alyssa over at Life of Blyss paints wine glasses by hand and does an AMAZING job. Check out her site!
What do you get for the mom who has everything? Start her a charm bracelet from Pandora. They have fun charms that go with specific lifestyles – shopping bags and high heels for the shopaholic, wine glasses and cheese for the social mom and of course their colorful beads to go in between.
Gift Certificate to Spa
There isn’t one person I know who would ever turn down a chance to be pampered. If there is please let me know so I can have a serious talk with them… Get your mom a gift certificate to a spa in the area for a manicure/pedicure, massage or a facial. Or if you’re feeling really generous, all 3!
If you want to make your mom breakfast/brunch I’ve added some of my favorite recipes below to add for your mom’s special day.
We all know no meal is complete without dessert so here are a few of my favorites