When I was younger my mom used to say the same thing to me every morning “Eat your breakfast!” Now I sit here and think – Why would I even want to skip breakfast? Breakfast has now become my favorite meal of the day. Pancakes, oatmeal, egg white omelet’s, muffins, smoothie bowls and waffles are just a few of my favorites. Don’t even put a box of cereal in front of me… I guarantee it WILL be gone. Not only should you eat breakfast every morning BUT breakfast should be your biggest meal of the day!
Actually, eating breakfast may be good for losing weight. Studies have proven that people who eat breakfast are more likely to maintain a healthy weight. Eating breakfast increases the metabolic – or calorie-burning – rate which is always good news. Overeating throughout the day is also less likely (more good news). Studies show that people who skip breakfast tend to make up for the calories later in the day, often with unhealthy, high-fat and high-calorie convenience foods (bad news).
Breakfast should include protein and plenty of fiber; the combination will help satisfy your hunger and will keep you feeling full until lunch time. The protein can come from low-fat meat, eggs, nuts (PEANUT BUTTER!) or dairy products. High-fiber foods include fruits, vegetables and whole grains (oatmeal, english muffins). A healthy breakfast doesn’t need to be extravagant or take a long time to prepare. Just stay away from the lucky charms, doughnuts and frozen french toast sticks. Remember, everything in moderation (including moderation!)
OK enough talk. I want to show you my breakfast yesterday.
The best meal ever.
Vegan Banana Chocolate Chip Pancakes
- 1/4 cup white flour
- 1/4 cup wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 T Ener-G egg replacer with 2 T of warm water (mix together and set to side)
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons of applesauce
- dark vegan chocolate chips
- 1 banana
- Mix wet ingredients in a medium-sized bowl.
- Mix dry ingredients in a larger bowl.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry – mix well until smooth consistency.
- Drop onto medium heat (preheated) pan. Put banana slice and chocolate chips on top
- Flip over when each pancake begins to bubble on top.
- Serve with vegan buttery spread (if desired) and maple syrup.