You know what I love about lasagna? Um, everything…Duh. Oh, except for the carb and fat overload. So I decided to take a comfort food and take the guilt out of the dish. This “lasagna” uses spaghetti squash, spinach, cottage cheese, tomato sauce and fresh mozzarella and will totally hit the spot. You get that baked Italian goodness for, get this, about 100 calories a serving!
The secret to lightening up this dish (besides swapping out pasta for squash) is to watch the cheese. So many times we make dishes just slapping on high fat ingredients without thought. In all actuality, half would probably do just as well. This dish totally proves a little can really go a long way!
Spaghetti Squash Lasagna
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 container of Cottage Cheese (i used dairy free)
- 1 jar of marinara with basil
- 10 oz of defrosted chopped spinach
- 1 ball of fresh mozzarella
- Cut spaghetti squash in half, scoop out seeds and roast in oven for 45 minutes at 450 degrees
- Scrape out the insides of the spaghetti squash into a bowl
- Take a 9×13 dish and spread a thin layer of marinara sauce on the bottom
- Layer with half of the spaghetti squash
- Add 1/2 of the spinach and 1/2 of the cottage cheese with more sauce on top
So, if you like spaghetti squash and are looking for new ways to eat it or are looking for a new dish to try – Make this. It will make you and your thighs happy. Note: You can also use ground turkey in this dish if desired 🙂